i have a very inconsistent relationship with oats. sometimes i love it so much i eat it multiple times a day and other times i can’t even imagine a single globular of oats passing my teeth. right not i’m in love with oats!
partly because of this…
warning: by itself this doesn’t taste very good. unless you have a taste for things that don’t taste very good, like apples and salt. which some people think tastes very good. i wonder about their tastebuds.
but when introduced to oats, honey, sprouts, and bananas, this applesauce goes from only slightly palatable to the best thing ever.
- 2 or 3 large apples of your choosing. i used red delicious because they were the prettiest but you can use any apple you like.
- the juice of half of an orange
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 quart mason or clean spaghetti sauce jar.
- peel and shred your apples. you can dice them or pulverize them if you would like.
- put all of the ingredients in the jar and smoosh around until coated.
- fill the jar with water. you want all of your apple bits to be submerged.
- put the cap on and leave on the counter for about a week or more.
- put into the fridge.
recipe for living oatmeal:
prior to the consumption date you will need to sprout mung beans, amaranth and black sesame seeds. or use your favorite sprout!
the night before – soak desired amount of oats.
the morning of – rinse and cook oats in an appropriate amount of water. when complete add sprouted ingredients, a teaspoon of raw honey (when raw, honey contains enzymes that are alive) one banana, and lacto-fermented applesauce.
voila! a bowl of life that will make you feel alive. super yum.
give it a try and tell me what you think.